Things the tutorial does not teach

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things the tutorial does not teach

I just started playing Freestyle 2 about a week ago (Today is 4/10/2015), and I am POSITIVE that there are things that I don't know, because they aren't explained.

I have scanned the forums and it looks like "no one" really knows anything for sure, so there is a lot of misinformation.

I basically would like to know everything, but lets start with the shooting (I will compile the data I get from answers here, so future people can read this thread to learn)
    Shooting Questions and Answers:
    Q: Does it matter what angle from the goal you shoot, or does only distance matter? In real life, shooting from the sides is harder than shooting strait in front of the goal, is this reflected in the game?
    A: It does not matter what angle you are shooting from, only distance matters.
    (Everyone Agrees!)

Q: If two players are in front of you, does it decrease the chance of you making the shot? Or does only your mark count?
    A: No one is sure so far, but it was suggested the person closest to you is the only player considered.
    (Can more people weigh in on this question? I'd like to have a conclusion)

Q: If a player jumps early (due to a fake) does it still count them as in front of you defensively? (if you do not move around them)
    A: So far 1 person says if you jump early or steal it negates your defense, and 1 person says jumping does not negate defense.

Q: Does having higher stamina when shooting increase your chances of making the shot?
    A: One person says yes, another says no.

Q: If I jump to block a shot, but am too far away and it says "active defense" does that mean I reduced his chance of making the shot? Or is that just for experience/points at the end of the game?
    A: I was told when the Green Text shows up, it is showing that you have done something correctly to reduce the effectiveness of the other team.

Q: Does holding down W decrease their chances of making a shot more than just standing there? Or should you always jump when your opponent shoots even if you missed the block? (To get the Active Defense pop-up)
    A: One Player says holding W can drastically effect shot chance, and the other says it may have no effect at all.

After I exhaust my questions about shooting, I'll put up the details and answers and then present a new topic (probably about Drives, and preventing people from getting past you)

So if you think you know the answers, or can point me to a place where the above specifics are explained then lets hear it .
    Last edited by Flatlander; 04-13-2015, 08:33 AM.

Originally posted by Flatlander View Post
    I just started playing Freestyle 2 about a week ago, and I am POSITIVE that there are things that I don't know, because they aren't explained.

I have scanned the forums and it looks like "no one" really knows anything for sure, so there is a lot of misinformation.

I basically would like to know everything, but lets start with the shooting (I will compile the data I get from answers here, so future people can read this thread to learn)

Questions about Shooting
    1. Does it matter what angle from the goal you shoot, or does only distance matter? In real life, shooting from the sides is harder than shooting strait in front of the goal, is this reflected in the game?

In real life it is not harder to shoot from an angle. I have played basketball and if you notice most people don't aim for the backboard when they shoot. This is because when you do aim for the backboard the shot actually does change depending on the angle. However, if you only aim for the hoop, the shot is the same no matter what angle and the only difference is the distance. So when I trained for basketball, if I was able to make a 20 foot shot from straight on, the exact same form will make the same shot form any angle at 20 feet. When training I took several thousand shots from 3point range, free throw, and mid range. Including the lay up I was able to make in any shot 90% of the time with muscle memory from anywhere on the court.
      ​Same thing rules apply in game.
    2. If two players are in front of you, does it decrease the chance of you making the shot? Or does only your mark count?
    3. If a player jumps early (due to a fake) does it still count them as in front of you defensively? (if you do not move around them)
      From my understanding if someone trys to steal or jump at the wrong time the effect they have to mess you up is negated.
    4. Does having higher stamina when shooting increase your chances of making the shot?
      Someone said it doesn't and I havn't seen it mess me up that much in game

Questions about Defense against Shooting
    1. If I jump to block a shot, but am too far away and it says "active defense" does that mean I reduced his chance of making the shot? Or is that just for experience/points at the end of the game?
      If you're far away it wont effect them however, if you have a high block chance than you could block shots from far away. My take on it is that you were just near them but the further you are the less it impacts and it gets to the point were the impact is so slow that it doesn't really do much. However, I was told that against some SG you could just hold W and stand in front of them and that effects their 3 shot drastically.
    2. Does holding down W decrease their chances of making a shot more than just standing there? Or should you always jump when your opponent shoots even if you missed the block? (To get the Active Defense pop-up)

After I exhaust my questions about shooting, I'll put up the details and answers and then present a new topic (probably about Drives, and preventing people from getting past you)

So if you think you know the answers, or can point me to a place where the above specifics are explained then lets hear it .
    Take what I say with a grain of salt. Like you said there is no clear instructions in game.

Comment

My take on the questions

QUESTIONS ON SHOOTING

1. In real life, it isn't harder to shoot from corners. It depends on how much you practice your corner shots. IRL, I enjoy the corner three, shots tend to swish really nice from there. As far as I know, distance has a direct correlation to the success of a shot.

2. I believe the defender closest to you is the one that affects the shot, rather than the combined negative impact of two players defending you.

3. Yes. If there is a defender present, regardless if they are in the air or not, they will affect the success of a shot.

4. Yes, decreased stamina has a negative effect on your shot.

QUESTIONS ON DEFENSE

1. Yes. That is the game telling you that you affected the success of your opponent's shot. Those little popups that tell you if you did something good or bad will not affect the experience or points gained during the process of a game.

2. I'm actually not sure on this one. When I guard high level SG's they usually drain the shot if I just stand there regardless of faceup or not. Now as for jumping on the shot, only jump if you know that your opponent is actually going to shoot it. Obviously jumping on fakes is detrimental to the team and it forces a rotation and potentially a mismatch. In my book, jumping and missing the block is better than just standing there.

Hopefully that helped!
      Last edited by Zydrunas; 04-10-2015, 06:02 PM.

Comment

tutorial also dont teach how easy it is to block an ally

Comment

I have updated the main topic, Can more people give their experience with the above questions? I'd like to have more data before I come to any conclusions.
          Thanks

Comment

You can just test those things by looking at shooting circle near your nickname...

Comment

Originally posted by revenge View Post
              You can just test those things by looking at shooting circle near your nickname...
              I'm not sure about that...
              Question #1: Does Angle Matter? (I guess you could shoot like 100 shots from different locations but most likely you'd need around 1,000 shots to have any sort of accuracy and even then it wouldn't be conclusive)
              Question #2: Cannot test using the circle, since the circle just turns Orange when any player is in front of you.
              Question #3: I guess I could test if the circle becomes green when an enemy player jumps, or if it remains orange, so on this one you got me.
              Question #4: To test this I'd have to do the same thing as Question #1 (1,000 shots and record each one with both full stamina and no stamina)
              Question #5: To test this I'd have to shoot 1,000 times without blocking then 1,000 times with "Active Guard" pop-up and see what the difference is.
              Question $6: To test this i'd have to shoot 1,000 times without using W and 1,000 times while using W.

And even doing all of the above tests using 1,000 shots its possible that I was just lucky, or unlucky in some situations, or that the characters I used were mis-matched due to their stats or positions. So instead of making 2 of every character type, on 2 accounts, and testing 1,000 shots, for each of the above questions, in each situation, I decided to post here to see if someone else had the experience to answer the questions.

So to me, this topic doesn't seem as lazy as you are making it sound.

Comment

You can test them all by doing 2 shots if you are not dumb.

Comment

Ok, ignoring that guy.

Anyone else want to answer my questions using your experience in the game?
                  1. Does it matter what angle you shoot? (2 people say no, 0 say yes)
                  2. If a player jumps early, does it still count them as guarding you while they are in the air? (Should you fake, then shoot once they jump without moving)
                  3. Does higher stamina help you make your shots?
                  4. Does holding W further decrease shot chance when you are guarding someone?

Comment

1. Does not matter what angle you shoot. Just fyi, in real life the corner threes are actually closer the the rim than any other area of the 3pt line, making it the best 3pt shot to shoot.
                    2. If they jump early and they land near you I find that it still affects your shot. You should move to the side and away from their body for a higher %.
                    3. Yes, low stamina will negativly affect your shot. However, as your 3pt or 2pt stat gets higher you will notice that it affects it less.
                    4. Yes, w decreases the chances of it going in. However, a good contest (jump) will decrease it even more.

Comment

fadeaway weirdly goes in a lot more with low stamina on red than full with green

Comment

Working...
                      X