How do I not get stunned by A dribble

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I not get stunned by A dribble

Most SGs I face I can straight up face up them and stop them. But some SG can go right through my face up with A dribble, stunning me in the process and shoot a wide open 3. And they are not using fancy drive I'm pretty sure. What is the reason of this? Speed hack? When I try to do the same thing, my opponents hardly ever gets stunned.

Honestly just watch some of Val's tutorials on face up defense you might be doing something wrong that you aren't aware of.

Comment

Here is my explanation:

16. when your opponent drives and you go the other way and the !! comes up (ankle break or something i don't know) how can u prevent this from happening?
      • When defending an opponent that is eager to dribble, there are 3 ways to doing so, each having their strengths and weaknesses:
      1. Prediction - guessing which way someone is going when driving can get you some turnovers, however, if you predict wrong, it may leave the scorer wide open for the shot.

2. Facing Up extremely close - A risky move that can either make your opponent bump into you before their dribble happens, OR they can drive through you with ease.

3. Not moving at all before a dribble - Just standing there before a dribble appears can avoid pretty much all dribbles, but is still quite risky because if timed incorrectly, you can leave your opponent wide for the layup. To prevent this, you have to move immediately after the opponent dribbles, to the side you believe they went.

Here is SoldierKing's explanation:

Comment

Thx Val for the tip, but since SG has that pick your poison back roll turn 2, it seems my only bet to stopping them is to face up extremely close, this is like the only way I can stop his spin back dribble and still has enough time to go for block if he goes the original direction. I guess that SG knew how to counter my defense perfectly. But my question is, if he keeps doing the sharp dribble(direction plus A A), what would be the correct way to respond? Not moving at all seems to work for this particular dribble but if he start doing back roll turn 2 I'm pretty much doomed.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSk_m6PfwUg

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseBall View Post
            Thx Val for the tip, but since SG has that pick your poison back roll turn 2, it seems my only bet to stopping them is to face up extremely close, this is like the only way I can stop his spin back dribble and still has enough time to go for block if he goes the original direction. I guess that SG knew how to counter my defense perfectly. But my question is, if he keeps doing the sharp dribble(direction plus A A), what would be the correct way to respond? Not moving at all seems to work for this particular dribble but if he start doing back roll turn 2 I'm pretty much doomed.
            Against the narrow drives or Tap A + Direction drives, you can simply face him up quite close compared to the wider drive. That is the risk of the narrow drive.

For backroll 2 and backroll 1, You gotta either react (Walk with the backroll then run when you see it complete to avoid getting cooked from backroll 2), OR you can predict and get a face up from backroll 2 by standing on the side where backroll 1 won't go to, at the cost of a free 3 (High Risk, High Reward Scenario) Only do the prediction method if you KNOW they are going to backroll 2 alot.

ALSO, pro tip: Never stop moving when you are defending drives. The moment you stop moving is the moment your body won't react fast enough, giving them a free 3, and the moment you can't keep up with the game. I know it sounds like a contradiction with the stand still and wait for the drive method, but honestly, sometimes when you move and they drive, and you try to stand still too late, you get crossed anyway. You keep your head in the game if you have active defense!

It takes two to tango! If one person stops moving, the other will be two steps ahead of them.
            Last edited by Valioa; 02-12-2018, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Yeah I was basically doing the face up to SG's side defense cuz every fucking SG just spam that back roll turn 2 these days. Could stop most SGs with just that. But I guess thing would get rough if they start doing different stuff like mixing in fast dribble with back roll turn 2 that's when the SG gets unguardable. Guess I'll have to get used to your keep moving and react method.(reaction is my greatest weakness and I've always tried to avoid relying on that lol)

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseBall View Post
                Yeah I was basically doing the face up to SG's side defense cuz every fucking SG just spam that back roll turn 2 these days. Could stop most SGs with just that. But I guess thing would get rough if they start doing different stuff like mixing in fast dribble with back roll turn 2 that's when the SG gets unguardable. Guess I'll have to get used to your keep moving and react method.(reaction is my greatest weakness and I've always tried to avoid relying on that lol)
                Actually I learned something recently good sir...

If you are directly on your mark and they attempt to shoot in your face, their shot speed is slower, making it easier to react and block a shot.

If you are far away, their shot speed is normal, because no defense is on them.

NOW the problem with this theory is LAG. Sometimes even if you are close, their shot will still be fast simply because of latency related issues.

I recommend testing this for yourself if you are curious.

Comment

Working...
                X